I finally managed to get hold of some polyurethane epoxy resin for experiments, kindly donated by my friend Ollie Adegboye. It’s not the nicest stuff, it picks up everything and it makes your head spin, but it cures in hours to a rock hard, glossy finish, and you can work it straight away.
I had an old, ill-fitting sweater that I got from Primark a few years ago. It was a nice charcoal grey so I decided to use that for my first experiment. The laminating and moulding procedure went well, but the results aren’t all that.
The colour was lost, with the material looking the same colour as it would if it was wet. I think it was too soft, so much of the lovely grain I was expecting got lost under compression. You can still see some loops from the fabric weave, but it isn’t anything amazing.
I’m going to try again tomorrow, this time I will use denser fabrics and maybe mix the fabrics up between layers.